Friday, 4 May 2012

Silk, Goats and Billy Joel

Well we all have a face
That we hide away forever
And we take them out and
Show ourselves
When everyone has gone
Some are satin, some are steel
Some are silk and some are leather
They're the faces of the stranger
But we love to try them on
- Billy Joel: The Stranger -


Silk is one of my all time favourite materials to wear and it's such a crying shame that most second hand shops, flea markets and charity shops are filled with awesome, shapeless, massive silk shirts from the 80's and the 90's. So I've taken on to collect them, given that they are cheap enough and I wouldn't wear them as they are. So here's one of them, a very big silk vest with a dense row of buttons.


I took the buttons off (and stashed them in one of my millions haberdashery nooks), sewed together the buttoned edges. Then I sewed folds ranging from the shoulder blades to the chest and took about 3 cm from the sides.


Now it's great for tugging in my skirts. Doesn't look that much but these kinds of things are my trusted clothes, plain but versatile. Since the hem of the top is quite long, I can wear this with shorts and trousers, too.


Next time I'll maybe try to dye silk or paint something nice on it. Not very soon though, since silk is up there in my top 3 of Berserk sewing materials. (I was going start this post with an Irish saying: "Put silk on a goat and it is still a goat" but I thought that Billy Joel sounds a bit more merciful than the Irish.)

5 comments :

Anne said...

Looks Lovely ....:)

Purnauskis said...

Aivan ihana! Itse en ole kirpparireissuilla päässyt kasaripuistatuksista niin yli, että olisin voinut antaa silkkipusakoille uuden mahdollisuuden kotona. Ehkä seuraavalla kerralla :)

berenike said...

Anne: Thanks!

Purnauskis: Kiits :) Kirppareilta kyllä löytyy kaikkia helmiä, itelläni on varastossa silkkipaita, jossa lukee neuon väreillä "Fun" ja on palmuja ja kaikkea. Ah, kasari...

Neulisti said...

Hieno tuunaus. Itsekin kaipailen tämän mallista paitaa.. Mutta kun neulotuttaa niin kovin, ettei jaksa ompelukoneen ääreen vääntäytyä. :)

berenike said...

Neulisti: Kiitos! Mun mielestä tommoset lötköt topit on kivan monikäyttösiä ja naisellisia :) Joo, ompelussa on se ärsyttävää, ettei esim. pysty kattoo elokuvia tai sarjoja samalla :D