Friday, 30 March 2012

Kimono

Monday's child is fair of face,
Tuesday's child is full of grace,
Wednesday's child is full of woe,
Thursday's child has far to go,
Friday's child is loving and giving,
Saturday's child works hard for living,
And the child that is born on the Sabbath day
Is bonny and blithe, and good and gay.



pattern: Garter Stitch Baby Kimono by Joji Locatelli
yarn: DROPS Baby Merino, 150g
needles: 3mm DPN and 3mm circular

My mum's friends are having a baby and so I got as an assignment to knit something for the little thing. I used DROPS Baby Merino on this jacket since I think it's a good quality yarn and really, really soft and suitable for babies. Plus it has a couple stronger and livelier colours, like turtle green and burning orange, which I think are nice for children. Don't get me wrong, tender pastels are awefully pretty too and I'll get to those later on. The pattern was really good too, well written and really easily modified (you can make shorter sleeves or longer torso part). I added an i-cord strings inside the garment (the bottom pic) so that it makes squirming out of the jacket a bit more challenging for the baby and so that the size is a bit more adjustable. And pretty wooden sheep buttons, which unfortunately make this jacket non-machine washable.





I've done things like lace socks, lace shawls and sweaters and pullovers... but never i-cord. So I had to learn it for this one, as most people in Ravelry had finished the garment with added i-cord edge and it looked really neat. I skimmed through a couple set of instructions and this is the one that I found the easiest.

The next projects for the baby are boots and a hat. For the hat I already bought two balls of Sublime Baby Cashmere Merino Silk DK, in colour pastel green. Just like the name suggests, the yarn really is sublime and from the a-bit-more-expensive-than-most-but-not-too-pricey end of the yarn spectrum, though it really would make a difference in a student's budget. But my mum is buying this round, so I figured screw price.

3 comments :

Vyyhti said...

Voi kun kiva. Ja ihanat lammasnapit! :)

Neulisti said...

Ihana. Sääli, ettei mikään kaunis kestä ikinä konepesua. Ja kirkkaista väreistä: pienet lapsethan erottaa kirkkaat värit paljon paremmin kuin niitä pastelleja, joten tämä on hyvä värivalinta vauvanvaatteeseen. :)

berenike said...

Vyyhti: Kiitos! Juu napit oli mun mielestä kivat, sopii neuleeseen tommonen lammasteema :D

Neulisti: Kiitos! Jep, oon samaa mieltä noista väreistä :)